About Me

For 5 weeks I will be studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. So, this is a little blog that I will try to keep to update you on my adventures in Europe.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We made it!

Due to a request from a certain, special person on my trip with me, I need to "put a cap on my blog" and start to shorten it because it is apparently too long for the blogging world. Just a foreward to this post.
If I could sum up today all in 2 words it would be challenge day. Today the 
whole group took a day trip to Toledo and were able to walk through one of the cutest small towns I have ever seen. However, we maximized our fun in that town times ten by getting really into the challenge game wherever we went. More to come about that later...
We first stopped at a cathedral which was one of the most intricately decorated cathedral I have ever seen. So much detail was in it! And since I think it had been built from the 1500s to the 1800s, it contained a lot of different styles of art and architecture in it. I would post up cool pictures, but sadly they were not allowed inside. When I tried to secretly take a picture, I was caught by a guard. Of course I pulled the stupid american card a
nd pretended like I didn't know it wasn't allowed. Worked great!
Then we had a couple hours to eat our sack lunches (which Paquita DID remember to pack. Don't worry, it was not 1, but 2 sandwiches, an apple and some water) and explore the town. Its a very hilly town with precious cobblestone roads everywhere. Instead of taking the touristy route and stopping by all the museums, we decided to do a little shopping in some really unique stores. 
We then began the multiple challenges. First challenge was for Robyn to take a picture with a random bullfighter on the street. It ended with Amy Gibson taking a picture with him while she acted like a bull. HILARIOUS. Then, after taking a rea
lly great jumping in the air picture, I challenged Caitlin to take a jumping picture with a teacher. The picture that came from that was priceless, especially because Dr. Larson only pretended to jump because he claimed he was injured. Other challenges were made that day, like Beth Anne had to take a pic with Larson and Amy had to serenade everyone on the bus, but those gave us the most laughs. 
After our fun in Toledo, we hopped back on the bus and stopped at, what I am pretty sure was THE house of Ferdinand and Isabella. Another awesome place with the most ornate decorations. However by that point, our bodies began to ache so much from all the walking that we really just wanted to get back on the bus to sleep. It was tremendous to see, and fun to picture Isabella in that house a long time ago.
Ok, now for some pictures!!! Only a few because it takes forever to load...


this is the Plaza de Espania. A favorite place to study and an even better spot to catch some "muchos besos" as we call it. Better know as Public Display of Affection in the US. 

This is a central spot in Madrid where we first got dropped off and had to drag our luggage around. 


The infamous Plaza Mayor. Such a fun place to come sit out at night and watch the eccentric people of Madrid. 


Mi apartamento!!


Our beds




This is the other side of the room. Its so nice to open that window when it gets really hot to get a nice breeze. 
Hope you enjoy!
Buenos noches!
Maria

1 comment: