About Me

For 5 weeks I will be studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. So, this is a little blog that I will try to keep to update you on my adventures in Europe.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Miscommunication gives you lots of Frustration

Today has been an interesting day. I spent about 4 hours of today thinking that my family disappeared from this earth. My family, minus Hunter, were planning on coming to visit me in Madrid my last week here. So, my dad emailed me about a week ago telling me they were going to arrive today at 3:30 and somehow there was some big time miscommunication because today, in fact, was not the date of their arrival. After informing just about the entire world about their arrival, I left my friends early to meet them at their hotel at around 5pm. So, after getting wonderfully detailed lessons on how to travel via the metro (thank you navigator Robyn) I did my research and went to the metro stop that was near their hotel. Being all by myself, and having the horrible direction skills that I have, I got a wee bit lost in trying to find the actual hotel. After searching for about 30 minutes, I finally found it. 

The conversation with the lady at the front desk went a little bit like this:

me: "Hi, uh, do you know english?"
front desk attendant, looking very annoyed: "yes"
me: "ok, well, uh, can you tell me if a jim lockhart has checked in today?"
attendant: "what?"
me: "did a JIM LOCKHART get here today? Thats l-o-c-k-h-a-r-t"
(lots of typing) attendant: "whats the name?"
me: "LOCKHART, JIM. maybe James."
attendant: "Lockhart with a L?"
me: "yes"
(more typing) attendant: "no."
me: "ok, well, uh, is there a jim lockhart staying here?"
attendant: "no"
me: "well, my parents told me they are staying here and um, is there another hotel velazquez nearby?"
attendant, looking even more annoyed: "no."
me: "ok, well ill leave now. see ya!"

if it sounds a little bit awkward, times that by ten and thats how it went. So, my parents weren't staying at the hotel they told me. Great. I then contemplated sitting out on the front steps and waiting until they got there. But, felt a little weird doing that, and considering that the lady at the front desk really didn't like me anymore, I decided to do a little shopping at some stores I passed when I was lost. Bought some cute clothes and about an hour and a half later, still no phone call. Ok, it was about 6:30pm and the situation was getting ridiculous. I then gave up and spent about 30 more minutes trying to find a metro stop to get on to go home and try to find some new form of communication with my parents.

I ended up calling home on skype hoping that hunter would answer and give me some details as to if they had made it to Spain. I called and guess who answered? Mom. I was so confused. But she finally told me that they in fact were leaving Dallas tonight and getting to Madrid tomorrow. So I was completely off and spent all that time for nothing. Although it was a big accomplishment that I got anywhere by myself, with no friends helping me. 

Oh, and it made great conversation with Paquita. Ok, really, it was confusing trying to tell her that in fact my parents were getting here tomorrow and I couldn't find them today. She really probably thinks I'm an idiot now. 

Other than that whole story, today we visited the Royal Palace and yesterday we went to the Congress. The palace was pretty neat and looked a lot like the other palaces we have visited. And I liked going to the Congress because our teacher said that not even all the Spaniards get to see their own Congress. So it was supposedly a huge privilege for us Americans. Except our tour was in Spanish, so I got literally nothing out of that one. I can't share any cool facts for the blog about the Spanish Congress.

Today is also a great day (im saying this sarcastically) because the bathroom that is designated for Robyn and I is currently broken. I tried using Queeties bathroom today, got caught, and didn't know if it was ok that I used it or not. So, until I know for sure that that thing is fixed, I won't be showering, using the bathroom, washing my face, or brushing my teeth. So, beware those who are around me, I might smell a little funny.

Tomorrow we have another day trip to Salamanca. I have noticed a trend. Lots of the spanish cities we visit start with an "S." Not sure why, but its just something I have noticed.

It has started to get really hot here in Madrid. We are talking over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. This has been miserable for us and has caused Robyn and I to walk in on Luis without a shirt on at least 3 times. The first time was really awkward and we didn't know whether to look or not. Luis proceeded to tell us that he thought we were his wife and apologized for not having his shirt on. We got a good laugh out of that one afterwards.  


Observation #5: Speaking of the temperature, The mullet look is HOTT right now in Spain. I have seen everything: curly. straight. dreds. braided. beaded. multicolored. short. down to your thighs long. I have seen more mullets that I ever want to see. So, gentlemen and even some ladies, its time for a little business in the front and a party in the back.  

1 comment:

  1. haha your schedule is based around landon's! and btw, the u.s.a. knew about the mullet nearly 30 years ago, but now that i know its the hott look in europe, i will be bringing it back to the states.

    ReplyDelete