About Me

For 5 weeks I will be studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. So, this is a little blog that I will try to keep to update you on my adventures in Europe.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

no mas! no mas!

You would think since it has been about 2 weeks of Robyn and me telling Queetie "no mas, no mas!!" whenever she tries to give us unhumanly large portions for meals, that she would get the point. Nope. This is Paquita we are talking about. Last night for dinner we had lots of broccoli soup, bread, crackers, yogurt, chips, turkey and cheese grilled sandwiches, and that laughing cow cheese. As soon as we start eating she says comemos mas!!! Now, I am a girl who can shovel food down like nobody's business, but this is outrageous. If I ate all that she wanted me to eat I would weigh 500 pounds. (Ok false, but somewhere up there on the scale.) Maybe someday she will get the hint. 
Yesterday our group had an optional visit to the Reina Sophia Museum. It wasn't an option for me and Robyn. We made a promise that we will attend all optional museum visits so as to experience it all while we are here in Spain. It is this HUGE museum of modern art that is located in an old hospital. Kinda makes it creepy since we saw some very unusual things. Sometimes, I just don't get modern art. Some of the unusual things we saw were:
1. A room with some tiled floor and a statue of a child with a large head sitting. Robyn said "I don't understand why the room is this big and the only thing that is in it is this one statue." 
2. Statues of these weird men with beanbag-looking bottums.
3. Two men hanging themselves
4. Painting of just 4 or 5 blocks of solid colors
5. One room that was dark and had a little mouse hole with light coming out of it playing creepy music

That's just a taste. However it did have very cool paintings by Picasso and Miro. Loved that! I do have to note that Robyn and I spent a good 3 HOURS in that place! We were for sure the last of our group to leave. Way to go us!

Observation #2:
Spaniards are waaaay more green than americans. They conserve everything! Queetie recycles her paper and plastics. (she was very excited to show me.) Every public place has motion-sensing lights. I have only seen one restroom with paper towels, they all use air dryers. They reuse all their bags. We eat our bocadillos in grocery bags. And they have a metro and walk practically everywhere! 

This is going to be the last blog all weekend because I am going to BARCELONA! 

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment