About Me

For 5 weeks I will be studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. So, this is a little blog that I will try to keep to update you on my adventures in Europe.

Friday, June 26, 2009

They made it!!!

Our day trip to Salamanca was like any other day trip, one filled with cathedrals and lots of walking uphill. But this time, instead of visiting just one cathedral, we got a packaged deal and visited 2 that were connected! Pretty awesome, I know. However, we were supposed to tour the college university that was in the city, but it was being closed for "reconstruction." Bummer, because I was actually really excited about seeing that one.
This is a picture of the outside of one of the buildings of the college. And there is a myth that if you find a frog with a crown on his head amidst all the decoration on the outside, you will get good grades for the next school year. As you can imagine, we all went crazy trying to find that thing. Robyn ended up finding it first, so who knows? She might get all A's next year! I found it eventually, much to my relief! 

This is a picture inside the cathedral. 

Next stop on our trip: the only city left in Spain that is fully walled in. Like there is a mini great wall of china around the whole city. It was really neat and we ended up getting to go up on the wall. 


Update on my parents arrival: they have finally arrived! They were supposed to arrive Wednesday at around 7, but guess what? Their flight got delayed 16 HOURS! They were supposed to fly from Dallas to Miami, then Miami to Spain, but they missed their flight to Spain because their first flight got delayed. Horrible! Then, to top things off, they can't find their luggage! So, I spent all Wednesday thinking I was never going to see my family again! 

But they finally got here yesterday around 10. We basically spent the whole day getting them a phone and shopping at the Corte Ingles (which is like a walmart and nordstroms put together) finding them some new clothes because they had been wearing the same thing for about 2 days! Welcome to Spain!

I left them for class in the afternoon, and was going to meet up with them afterwards to go to dinner and then a flamenco dancing show. I told them what metro stop to exit and this is what they ran into... 
A protest! I thought I would never find them. Then, one of my friends said to me, "please tell me that's not your dad" because my dad was across the street flailing his arms at us! Hilarious! We are the ultimate tourist family! 

We quickly got a bite to eat then were off to the Flamenco show. It was fabulous and I loved it! I never knew a person could click their feet or clap their hands that fast! 
Here is a picture of us outside of the place. Like my mom's new european shirt and my dads new shorts?

After that, we got ice cream in the Plaza Mayor, got a little lost finding a metro, and went back home for the night.

Observation #7: Spaniards like to have protests. We have experienced 2 while over here in Spain. And it is over just about everything. They like them so much, that there is a sign up list for who protests what and when. Its an organized protest! Crazy!

Maria

2 comments:

  1. Meredith - your blogs are hilarious! I can just picture Jimmy "flailing" his arms! Glad they made it - Love, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you finally found your parents!! And I am so glad Robyn found the frog first! I would settle for "A"s for this summer session in Spain. Good luck on your exams and can't wait to see you on Tuesday! Kim Bailes

    ReplyDelete